To help determine if hospice is the right choice for a loved one, look at the following facts:
- Hospice is a philosophy of care.
- Don’t have to give up all medical care.
- Must qualify but can opt out.
- Might extend life.
- Continue seeing the doctor.
- Goal is to live well.
- Enriches the last stage of life.
- Involves the entire family.
- Hospice continues after death.
When choosing hospice care consider:
- Is the hospice accredited?
- What are results from state/federal survey?
- Is the medical director board-certified?
- How many patients are in the program?
- What is the typical caseload?
For details see http://www.aarp.org/buletin November 2015
Subscribe to our blog and monthly newsletter.