Too busy for a gym? Joint problems? Bad back? Motivation Waning? You can get into shape at home by tailoring equipment to your particular needs and budget. Here are a few options:
- A rowing machine gives a great cardiovascular workout with minimal wear and tear on your joints. Works out arms, legs, chest, back, heart and lungs. $100 – $1000.
- A jump rope gives weight-bearing activity for those able to perform high-impact exercise; improves aerobic endurance and tones heart and lungs. $10 or less.
- An elliptical machine gives a vigorous aerobic workout without stressing your knees. Cost varies from less than $150 to $1000.
- A stationary bike conditions leg muscles; a fairly economical way to adjust intensity and exercise with safety. With a bad back you may want a recumbent bike which has a much friendlier seat. Less than $150 and up.
- Swimming pools offer the best at-home exercise during warm weather if you are fortunate enough to have one. Get a kickboard for a great workout. $10 to $25.
- Weight training works out those muscles that have lost mass through aging. You can regain muscle mass, increase strength, boost metabolism, build bone density and improve balance. Varying prices or find your own weights around the home.
Subscribe to our blog and monthly newsletter.